Paulitas Hatch Green Chile Spanish Rice
This recipe will have all your friends asking you to make it for their party. Paulita’s Spanish rice has been locally announced as “The Premiere Spanish Rice” dish.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time40 mins
Total Time50 mins
- 3 cup(s) Rice (we prefer Jasmine)
- 1 large Onion (peeled and cut into quarters)
- 1 1/2 tsp(s) Garlic (we prefer jarred roasted garlic)
- 1/2 tsp(s) Cummin (add more to taste)
- 1 tsp(s) Dried Parsley
- 1/2 tsp(s) Dried Cilantro
- 1/2 tsp(s) Dried Oregano
- 1/2 tsp(s) Black Pepper
- 2 cup(s) Diced Fresh Tomatoes (or 1 can of fire roasted tomatoes)
- 3 1/2 tbsp(s) Paulita's Green Chile Seasoning (add more to taste)
Oil a 4 quart, heavy gauge pot with olive oil then add ¼ cup of olive oil to the pot. Add rice and onion and blanche on medium heat until rice is golden brown stirring frequently.
Add all the other ingredients except for the Paulita's Green Chile Seasoning. Stir well and then add 3 ½ cups of hot water and bring to a boil. I pour the water through a splatter screen as it prevents a mess on my stove. Add Paulita's Green Chile Seasoning ½ tablespoon at a time stirring between additions. Taste for desired salt content and add more as needed.
Cover tightly and lower heat to a simmer for 15-20 minutes. Do not stir or open lid (my husband is awful about this). Remove from heat and let sit for 5 minutes as the trapped steam will finish off cooking the rice.
We serve straight from the pot though you can place the contents into a serving dish for more formal occasions.